Marillion At Their Best
On their current North American tour, Marillion are playing a series of paired gigs in select cities. These are back-to-back concerts in the same venue, with completely different set lists.
The four of us made the trek up to New York City to catch Marillion's two shows at Irving Plaza, a venue where we caught Living Colour back in 2001. (The opening line to "Open Letter to a Landlord" took on new meaning in the aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks..."Now you can tear a building down, but you can't erase a memory...")
After several hours of queuing, we ended up on the rail in front of Pete Trewavas, where we took in one of the most brilliant Marillion show we have ever witnessed. As H has said, the night "will remain an unforgettable high."
Asylum Satellite #1 (A great, atmospheric opener.)
Easter (You know you're in for a great one when "Easter," an all-time Marillion classic, is the fourth song of the night.)
A Voice from the Past
Ocean Cloud (Are you kidding me!? A spectacular rendition of this beautiful, haunting 20-minute epic.)
Power (Starting to learn this new song after a second time through.)
The Rakes Progress
Happiness is the Road (With the main set ending, the crowd kept up the "happiness is the road" chant until the band came back out.)
Man of a Thousand Faces
As Steve Rothery has posted..."I've never known the band to be playing this well at the beginning of a tour. It can only get better :-)"
PS: Check out the concert, which is available for download.
Thursday, June 21, 2012
Steve, Desi, Julie, and Z share their adventures and mind sets from Washington, DC to Beijing and wherever else the journey together leads.
- Information Technology, Political Participation, a...
- Epic Marillion Shortly before the opening concert...
- Scenes From A Water Balloon Fight Here's what hap...
- Growing Niki Huge update on our "little leezard f...
- Talking Chinese To A Baby While many of my friend...
- HOBY: TA-Style Some of you might remember that I ...
- Me, Chipotle, And The United States Border Patrol ...
- Violence On The Red Line The other day, while rid...
- Escape From Camp 14 Shin Dong-hyuk is the only pe...
- Two Flies Per Urinal We'll be taking care of busi...