The Great Keyboard Fiasco
Marillion's second show at Irving Plaza lived up to its billing, with a completely different set list than the previous night.
The highlight of a great evening came during the second encore, when the band broke into "Kayleigh," their most famous hit (which isn't played all that much these days).
H goes over to sit on the edge of his keyboard while singing the first verse. "Not a good idea," was the thought running through our heads. The keyboard just didn't look that stable, at least not for swaying and singing.
Sure enough, a few seconds into the experiment...BAM!!!
Down goes the keyboard. Down goes H. (It's all recorded right here, close to two minutes in...) But the singing doesn't stop, with H still on the keyboard, only sitting essentially on the ground now.
On the ground, that is, until he decides to get up, and jump on top of the keyboard, where he proceeds to perform the rest of the song. (See the attached photo, with, by the way, Z at the very left of the audience. He's the tall guy...)
At that point I'm thinking, "I hope H isn't playing piano in the next song."
Sure enough Mark Kelly comes down from his equipment, and says, "If you want to play 'Three Minute Boy' you can do it at my keyboard." And so launches a hysterical finale, featuring Mark holding the microphone for his band mate, and all other kinds of loose shenanigans. You can check out the whole scene here on YouTube...
Cover My Eyes (Pain and Heaven)
Out of This World
Afraid of Sunlight
The Great Escape
Cannibal Surf Babe
Between You and Me
This Strange Engine
Three Minute Boy
Friday, June 22, 2012
Steve, Desi, Julie, and Z share their adventures and mind sets from Washington, DC to Beijing and wherever else the journey together leads.
- Marillion At Their Best On their current North Am...
- Information Technology, Political Participation, a...
- Epic Marillion Shortly before the opening concert...
- Scenes From A Water Balloon Fight Here's what hap...
- Growing Niki Huge update on our "little leezard f...
- Talking Chinese To A Baby While many of my friend...
- HOBY: TA-Style Some of you might remember that I ...
- Me, Chipotle, And The United States Border Patrol ...
- Violence On The Red Line The other day, while rid...
- Escape From Camp 14 Shin Dong-hyuk is the only pe...