Friday, July 01, 2011

Lotus

One of our favorite places to eat in Beijing is a Muslim-style restaurant. We order kabobs, stews, cooked breads, and other Muslim specialties. Being the picky eater in the family, I have some kabobs and bread, and leave the rest for everyone else.

Since I do not eat the different stews, I don’t take part in the drama of accidentally eating a spice or eating a piece of lotus while thinking it was a potato. However, the looks on Mom, Dad, and Julie’s faces when they accidentally eat lotus did get me curious about its taste.

But it didn't get me curious enough to eat one...

After I voiced my curiosity, Julie offered me 200RMB to eat a whole piece of lotus. Mom and Dad followed suit, both adding another 200RMB to the bet. With 600RMB, the equivalent of about $100, on the line, I was being put to the test. Could I eat a piece of lotus without being allowed to drink or spit it out?

After finishing my food, I picked up the lotus and, to everyone’s disbelief, I popped it in my mouth. I chewed and swallowed and, just like that, it was over. I still don’t understand what the big deal is with lotus. It didn't make me throw up or even gag. I thought it was pretty tasteless.

The pluses to eating it: I walked away with 600RMB, and I got to watch Mom and Julie gag as I ate the lotus. Overall, not a bad meal!

~Z

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home