Friday, April 01, 2011

Waikiki

Conjuring up memories of a long walk that Desi and I took during our honeymoon in Aruba, I took a stroll down the length of Waikiki Beach after a day at the convention center. Some of the highlights...

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is the place to stay. I was checking out the resorts as moved down the beach, and I have to say that the one that struck me the most was the Hilton Hawaiian Village, with its palm trees on the beach, big shopping and eating complex, and private lagoon.

Diamond Head looks awesome. I hope to say a lot more about Diamond Head in an upcoming post, assuming I get out there. In the meantime, there it is, jutting out in the background of the top picture.

Sea turtles are big! I was pretty stunned when I happened to look out into the water and see a couple of sea turtles surfacing and then going back under. (Just ask Desi...She was on the phone with me when I started carrying on about what I had just witnessed.)

There are other beaches I like a lot more. Not to get all snobby, but the beach itself was OK, kinda short, nothing out of this world. Just a good, solid beach.

I gotta try me some boogie boarding! The waves break out at a reef pretty far off shore. What this means is that much of the surf right by the water's edge is pretty calm, with the surfers way out there by the breakers.

Speaking of boogie boarding, one way to get out to the waves is to walk out to the end of this one pier, which juts out fairly far over the water. Then jump off the twenty-foot high or so pier's edge into the water and paddle the rest of the way out. The bottom two pictures capture a young guy doing just that. Standing there, getting ready in the third picture. Then swimming out to do some riding in the fourth picture. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to resist this one!

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home