Monday, December 06, 2010

I'm Pretty Sure They Know It's Christmas

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of the popular Christmas song "Do They Know It's Christmas?" I mean really paid attention to the words that are sung? With the Christmas season in full swing, WASH-FM is back to playing Christmas songs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (They've been doing this since before Thanksgiving, actually.) With a family of Christmas music fans, I now have no shortage of opportunities to hone my appreciation of the song writing behind "Do They Know It's Christmas?" (Not to mention the entire collection of Carpenter's Christmas songs.)

Where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow. No rivers, that is, except for the Nile, which happens to be the longest river in the world. (Note that I am not making light of water resource issues in Africa. My observation here has to do with Western perceptions of the continent.)

Do they know it's Christmas time at all? Let's see...African is home to 380 million Christians. I guess when the colonialists left in the 1960s, they took all of their calendars with them.

Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you. Go ahead and try this when you say grace before dinner tonight..."God, we thank you that it's them and not us."

It's not the lyricists' (Bob Geldof and Midge Ure) intentions I'm questioning...It's their execution...

~Steve

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I hate that song. Mostly because lyrics, for me, have always been then most important part of a song. And the lyrics to that song are insulting.

Speaking of songs that make no sense for the occasions they're played at...I Honestly Love You at weddings? The whole song is about how a girl tried to tell a boy she loved him and he said, Thanks but no thanks! How is that wedding appropriate?

The Carpenters Christmas album, on the other hand, is pure genius! I love her voice, I love the arrangements, and I love the variety! I tend to go overboard with Christmas songs anyway (I'm sure Desi's heard me singing in the science office, although I'm not doing it this year cuz Lawrence isn't around), but I could listen to that album forever!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

At least I'm not the only one who feels that way about "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

As for the Carpenters, the folks at WASH-FM need to dial back a bit on how often they play from that album. Nice songs, but stop overdoing it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home