Friday, August 13, 2010

A Different Kind Of Wake Up Call

All summer long, there has not been much of a need for an alarm clock. You see, if we sleep with the windows open, at precisely 6am we are woken by the sounds of badminton. Yes, badminton...

Way down below our apartment, there are some lines for a badminton court drawn on the ground. There are also two posts for setting up a net. With all of that in place, every morning (again, right at 6am on the nose) four to eight people show up and kick into spirited games. There is yelling. There is laughter. And it all goes on for about an hour each day (literally, seven days a week), a fact that we have become aware of because all of the friendly ruckus echoes up the adjacent buildings and comes right into our apartment, loud and clear.

For me, it is yet another reason to sleep with the windows open. As for Desi, ask her about the mosquitoes...

~Steve

2 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

I hate mosquitoes! What happened with the mosquitoes?!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Let's just say that if you leave the windows open in Beijing, even with really good screens installed, those little buggers find a way in and mercilessly bite and buzz in your ears all night. Once I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I contracted chicken pox (although I knew I was probably immune from having them as a kid). In any case, the itching was awful but I tried to go back to sleep. As I laid there, scratching away, insult was added to injury as she commenced another attack...this time since the covers were up to my neck, she thought my head would make for a fine meal. The incessant buzzing was my warning, though, and so I pulled the blanket over my head and hid out until daybreak. If only I had invested in a can of Raid like last year! (Thinking of Midnight Mosquito Madness!)

~Desi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home