Several days ago, I decided to purchase and item from our downstairs market. The item...a fish!
For a fish, a bowl, and a huge bag of food, I paid 20 kuai, about three dollars.
Apparently, the quality fit the prices, as "Killer," the new member of our family, died that night at 11:20 pm, while we were watching a movie. The next day we flushed the poor fish down the toilet with a heavy burden in our hearts.
Later that day, Julie and I stopped in the market and decided to buy another fish. Two, actually. We purchased a bigger bowl, the two fish, a fake plant, and were given some free rocks by the stall owner. These items also came with a "spoon" (a net). This "spoon" gave Julie and I quite a laugh afterward.
Since we had bought fish from the man before, we knew the price. However, the man's boss was there, so there were some things that changed...
How much did I sell the fish to you for yesterday?
Oh...Which bowl do you want?
That one's twenty kuai. [Pause...] Excuse me, my boss bought that bowl for twenty-five kuai.
So, two fish and the bowl is thirty-six kuai.
Plus this small tree.
That's a little expensive.
Fine, my boss will also gift you a spoon.
Can we add in some rocks?
[Boss interrupts] Did you give them the spoon?
Those are two kuai each, but I can gift you these rocks.
[Boss interrupts again] Did you give them the spoon?
So, for all of this, forty kuai? You can't go any cheaper?
[Boss interrupts a third time] Did you give them the spoon?
Alright...Forty kuai is good.
The two fish are great additions to the family. The only question is what will we do with them when we leave?
Monday, July 26, 2010
Steve, Desi, Julie, and Z share their adventures and mind sets from Washington, DC to Beijing and wherever else the journey together leads.
- Like Living Above Target A few years ago, when a ...
- The Writing On The Wall As is common the world ov...
- As Seen On A Sign At Fahai Temple So what exactly...
- What Musical Instrument Is This? Here was the lov...
- My Five Kuai Haircut There's nothing quite like a...
- How We Almost Bought A Digital Camera At The Zhong...
- Lost On The Great Wall Umbrellas as far as the ey...
- Probably The Most Unusual Place We've Ever Celebra...
- On The Great Wall, In The Rain... ...With a milli...
- I Put On Wet Underwear This Morning After days of...