Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wish Me Luck

Tonight I packed up my biggest suitcase in preparation for my first class trip in years (maybe since I taught kindergarten). You see, after I returned from our year abroad, I was given the opportunity to expand my horizons (and boy, are they expanding!) and teach two new classes (new for me, that is) to Blair Magnet students. First semester it was Advanced Biology and a group of gifted tenth graders. This semester, Introduction to Genetics to tremendous eleventh and twelfth graders. Despite working harder than I have since student teaching, I have reaped the benefits of new knowledge and therefore new dendrites!

Along with this new gig comes a huge field trip to Wallops Island to play in the mud for a few days. (Really!) As a part of the ecology unit we are all heading to the coast for some live-event learning. Boat rides, bird watching, and trudging through the muck to collect and identify organisms and to analyze their habitats. If you know me, you know this is right up my alley...Except, of course, for the prospects of wet clothes (the mere thought makes my skin crawl). Anyways, heading out of town with 93 sixteen-year-olds (and none of them my own) for four days should be quite a learning experience...Not only for them, but for me, too...Probably in more ways than I am expecting.

If I should survive, I will post all the details...

~Desi

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger audioboyscout said...

Don't they use Wallops Island to fire sounding rockets for atmospheric research?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

NASA was right next door! There were lots of really cool looking planes practicing touch-landings. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the case. This facility also has a runway long enough for the Space Shuttle to land in a pinch. There were lots of satellite dishes and Doppler radar domes...definitely an unexpected treat!
~Desi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home