Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Dad The Counterrevolutionary

The other night, Professor Qiu came over to our house to experience some Christmas festivities with an ordinary American family. (Uh, that would be us...) It was a fun night, punctuated by a great moment of cultural exchange...

My dad was born in Hungary and escaped to the West after he took part in the country's failed 1956 revolution. As my dad was describing the events of those fateful weeks, Professor Qiu, with a smile on his face, called my dad a "counterrevolutionary." From the perspective of Chairman Mao and the Chinese Communist Party, the Hungarian Revolution was viewed as just that...An uprising against the communist revolutionaries of the Soviet Union who controlled Hungary at that time.

How about that!? More than fifty years burning down the road and my dad (not to mention the rest of us!) learned something new about himself!

~Steve

2 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Blogger Macefamily said...

I was telling Steve about your post, as I did my dad corrected me as I said the wrong thing. Not sure how he knew counterrevolutionary. Then again he does watch the history channel all the time. He said he remembers when the Hungarian refugees came here to Camp Kilmer in Edison.
Before today I never heard that term (the again History was my least favorite class) and ended up getting a history lesson from dad. Funny I never enjoyed history but I married a man who loves it. My dad also. And of course I ended up with a son who wishes he could just have history and Gym as his classes.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger audioboyscout said...

That was a surreal moment, indeed! I can think of very few moments when Dad seemed at a loss for words, but that was one of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home