Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fencing

A few weeks ago, I embarked upon a dream come true. For some time, that dream has been to begin fencing. Fencing has been in the back of my mind for years now.

Starting up in the US again brought new opportunities. I could choose fencing as my extracurricular activity.

After some time, we were able to begin checking out different fencing classes. One of my friends who fences gave me some information. After calls, excitement, and joy, I held a spot in a class.

On my first day of class, we were told what we would be doing and we learned the positions...advance, retreat, and lunge. After this, we did some exercises and played a game to work on balance. During the second class, we played an exercising game and were outfitted in our gear. Then we lunged at each other with swords for practice.

In the third class, we had a different teacher and we learned how to parry after warming up.
To do the take-six parry, you move your sword from the outside in and extend your sword, scoring a point. Then, we packed up and headed home.

Now, here I am, practicing with a sword. Every day, I can't wait until Monday.

~Z

2 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Congrats, Z! Not everyone can say they look forward to Monday! I hope you continue to have a blast with your new hobby! You'll have great thigh muscles after all that lunging! :)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Thanks! I am still going hard at my fencing. Just last class, I had four bouts against other fencers and won three and tied one. After every class, my arms are killing me from all that time holding the sword! Thanks again!

Z

 

Post a Comment

<< Home