Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's Just Wanderlust

A few months back, I had a conversation with another Fulbright wife about the great time I was having in China and how I did not want the feeling of adventure I was experiencing to end. "That's just wanderlust," she said.

Wanderlust?

I guess I had heard this word before, but never really gave it a second thought. That has all changes now, as I realize my "affliction."

Wanderlust, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is a noun that means "a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about; a very strong or irresistible impulse to travel."

That's it!

So while it may seem like a year abroad should have subdued this desire for a while, that couldn't be further from what is actually happening. In some ways, right now I feel like a hot air balloon that has been tethered to the ground. I know that it will be a while before I can fly again (responsibility calls!), yet my mind is constantly en route to far away and even some not so far away places. This second it's New Mexico. Later it will be back to Manzhouli. Tomorrow, a journey to Iceland will be on tap.

While our past cross-country trips seemed to have kept a cap on my views of travel, by providing the comfort that comes with remaining within the borders of the US, our year in China has definitely opened Pandora's Box, by providing me with a more worldly view.

For example, the other day, Marillion (one of our favorite bands) announced tour dates for an acoustic tour in the fall. Steve noticed that I was on the computer and about to check out the venues, when he informed me that there won't be any shows in the US. "So?" I said. He laughed as I told him that I am no longer limited by US borders...Only by airfare!

So, as Bilbo Baggins said, "I think I am quite ready for another adventure," for there is really only one cure for wanderlust...Fortunately, Steve, Julie, and Z share my affliction!

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home