Friday, July 31, 2009

Getting Out There

We've visited a lot of places in this big, beautiful country, and as "out there" as I know that some destinations have been, I've been searching for something more. Perhaps more remote...A place where nary a foreigner (and, for that matter, nary a native) has seen or roamed. Call it overkill if you will, but this type of adventure has been on my mind ever since David Adams (our Fulbright program officer) laid out his expectations for the Ballas as a Fulbright family. His words, which have been in the back of my mind for over a year, have never ceased to conjure up images of the four of us...Backpacking across Inner Mongolia.

Inspired by his confidence in us, as well as the desire to live up to this challenge, we were led to a place that not only did we not know existed, but also one that unquestionably satiated my desire to get "out there."

No doubt, Steve will be happy to hear that I am finally satisfied, as finding a more remote location than this would be a challenge in itself!

~Desi

1 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Macefamily said...

When I look at this pict of Desi I keep thinking of Maria (Julie Andrews) in the Sound of Music.

Looks like you are having fun. But I have to admit the 'no shower' thing would have been a deal braker for me. lol

Enjoy....Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home