Monday, June 01, 2009

"This Is The First Time I Have Ever Asked A Foreign Professor A Question..."

"...And so I am really nervous." This was how a student at Xibei Daxue (Northwest University) in Xi'an prefaced a question after I had finished my lectures on the politics of the Internet and the presidency. As for his question itself, it went something like this...

"I see that you graduated from Duke University. I know that Shane Battier, who plays really great defense, also graduated from Duke University. What do you think of him?"

Here were some other questions I was asked to respond to...

"What is the most important thing you have ever done?"

"What is your biggest regret?"

Desi, Julie, and Z joined me for a few minutes at the end, to add a family perspective to the cultural exchange that was going on. Z received the following question...

"Did you know that many young Chinese boys are addicted to computer games on the Internet. Is it the same in America?"

All I can say about the breadth of these questions is that I found a way to link Shane Battier to the topics of my lectures, when I replied that I wouldn't be surprised if Shane Battier were one day elected president of the United States.

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home