Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wushan Ping Pong

While doing our normal search of a new city, in this case 巫山, we spotted an exercise park. Since we were laowai, we were greeted with second looks, laughing, and the usual "laowai" said to each other by Chinese friends. We sat down "in the cage" while getting adjusted to the scene. Two boys on a bike rode past us twenty times. Old women and young girls talked about us.

Seeing one of the equipment pieces open up, I was there. After using it for about five minutes, I noticed Dad stand up and walk over to where there was a group of boys playing ping pong.

Looking back over a few minutes later, I saw Dad playing with them. Dismounting the equipment, I walked over to where they were. Standing there for a while, I made the decision to play. After Dad stopped, I picked up the paddle.

There were seven boys who took turns playing against the silly waiguoren. Some were better than others. Some used spin. There were different varieties.

Well, you can imagine! I won like only thirty out of one hundred points. Some of them were when the other kid hit the ball into the net.

Compared to those kids, who would be sevens on a scale from one to ten, I would be a four. Obviously, I still have a long way to go!

~Zoli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home