Friday, March 27, 2009

Scenes From The Reconstruction

Back in the fall, I posted about how many construction workers here live in temporary dormitories erected near or right at the sites where they are building the China of the future. Here are a few photographs I recently took from in and around my office.

As you can see, a new structure (a law school building, I believe) is now beginning to poke up from the ground. All of this progress is thanks to the veritable army of hard hats I watch every day, as they hang their clothes outside of their dorms, eat food from all kinds of street vendors, and buy clothes and other products from mobile markets that suddenly appear in the evening. It is a small, temporary community that lives and works right on Zhongguancun Lu, the major thoroughfare in this part of Beijing.

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home