Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Fudan Translation Series?

You may recall that, a few months back, I was surprised to discover that Bureaucracy and Democracy has been reviewed in a Chinese journal. Well, my surprise was even greater the other day when I made a new discovery about the book and its ever expanding presence over here in the Middle Kingdom.

It all started when I was chatting with a graduate student at another university who I have been providing a little advice to on an informal basis. At one point, I had suggested that one of the chapters in Bureaucracy and Democracy might be relevant for a paper she was contemplating.

Fast forward to our most recent conversation, just the other day. The student mentioned that she had gone ahead and checked the book out of the library. I was stunned that a Chinese university would have a copy of Bureaucracy and Democracy sitting around in its stacks.

Then the student informed me that it was the Chinese version she was working with. Chinese version!?

Sure enough, what you are looking at is the cover of the Chinese version of Bureaucracy and Democracy. If you enlarge the photo, you can see that the book is part of the Fudan Translation Series. (Fudan University is one of the top 3-5 institutions of higher education in all of China.)

And, if that is not enough excitement for you, here is a link to the Chinese Amazon website where the translated version can be purchased...

http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp?qid=1234456504&ref=SR&sr=13-1&uid=168-8264455-8915438&prodid=bkbk721101

Right now, the book is on sale for RMB 25.30 (that's less than four bucks!), a savings of 4.70 kuai off the normal retail price of RMB 30.00. And, if you buy it together with Charles Goodsell's The Case for Bureaucracy, another title in the Fudan Translation Series, it will altogether set you back only RMB 54.80.

So, what are you waiting for!?

~Steve

2 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Does the translation of your name on the cover use your adopted Chinese name?

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

That assumes I knew about the translation and worked closely with the translator on securing quality translations of the difficult passages! Or that my new name is becoming well-known in Chinese academic circles! Both assumptions are, to say the least, a real stretch! (Desi, though, does like to remind me, from time to time, that I am a legend in my own mind!)

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home