Saturday, January 17, 2009

If I Were A Dust Bunny, Where Would I Live?

In Beijing, of course, because I'd have lots of friends there!

No matter what I do, I just can't seem to keep up with all the dust here. I'm not even sure where it comes from, since we seem to be sealed up tight (to keep out the cold).

Steve often says that the ayis in his building at Beida are always sweeping or wiping. In his words, "No floor in Beijing goes unswept for more than twenty minutes." I think I can see why.

Could I have discovered yet another type of succession? Or perhaps the true reason for the fall of the Qing dynasty? (Maybe it is even dust from the Qing dynasty.) While I may not win a Nobel Prize for my firm grip on the highly obvious, I can tell you that much too much of my time is spent dancing with my broom and dust pan...in a never ending battle.

Did I mention that vacuum cleaners are not a common appliance in China? If only Mr. Kirby or Mr. Hoover knew...they could make a fortune over here!

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home