Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Bureaucracy And Democracy Goes Global

I recently met a professor who swore he had heard of me before. "That's a long shot," I thought to myself. He then went on to say it was because he had recently read a review, in Chinese, of Bureaucracy and Democracy. "You must be mixing it up with another book." This time I articulated my doubt out loud.

The next day, when we met up again, he was carrying a copy of Journal of Public Administration, a Chinese-language academic publication. Sure enough, he opened up to page 172, and there it was...a ten-page review of the book that William T. Gormley, Jr. co-authored with 巴拉. 巴拉? That's how the author translated my name into Chinese. And I went through all of that trouble getting my students to give me a Chinese name (click here for that story)!

As for the review itself, I have no idea what it actually says. Rather than do the difficult work of translating the Chinese characters, my current strategy is to imagine what the final sentences might say...This book fundamentally transforms our understanding of the role that bureaucracy plays in democratic political systems. It is a must-read for all Chinese citizens.

Now if I could just find someone to translate the book itself into Chinese...

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home