Saturday, November 22, 2008

How Many People Can You Love?

There I was the other evening, once again, in front of an auditorium full of undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty members, this time from Zhongnan University of Economics and Law. What more can I possibly say about staring out at that sea of black heads? Why not let them carry the conversation, as they do so well? In that spirit, here are some of the questions I received after giving my talk on President-elect Obama, as well as during another two-hour "rap session" that was held earlier in the day (yes, it was exhausting!)...

My father owns a toy factory. Why is America not allowing his company's products into the country? It is hurting our business. (My answer to that question was kind of long.)

I hear that many Americans have guns in their houses. Now that he is president, will Obama make this illegal? (Another long answer. It's amazing how fast two hours can pass when covering topics ranging from early American history to the importance of educational exchanges between countries.)

Taiwan will forever be part of China. One day, we will have to "do something" about this problem. (There was a question in there somewhere, but it was drowned out by the students in the auditorium breaking into raucous laughter at the "do something" remark.)

I have a very simple question. Will America ever have an Asian president? (Of course it will! Would you dare answer any differently?)

~Steve

PS: That's, by the way, the banner advertising my lecture. And that's the crew, pulling the banner down and folding it up, so I can take it back with me to Beijing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home