Monday, October 06, 2008

Things Are Starting to Heat Up

All of a sudden, my barren professional schedule has filled in considerably. But that's the way things tend to happen here...all of a sudden.

Just today, I received an invitation from my home department, the School of Government at Peking University. The school is hosting the Third Global Public Policy Network Conference...in two weeks! I'm chuckling as I receive e-mails about American political science conferences that are taking place six months from now. ("Deadline Extended!") Luckily, this is one event where I can sit back and listen to others "speechify." Or at least that's what I think is going on.

But before then, I have work to do of my own. Just yesterday, I was invited to give a lecture...next week! (Are you picking up on the theme of this post?) Here's the e-mail...

On behalf of Central University of Nationalities, I am very pleased to have the honor of inviting you to deliver a lecture at our university as part of the Fulbright Guest Lecture Program. We would like you to speak on "The 2008 U.S. Presidential Election and transition to a new administration".

We would like to arrange the lecture for October 15, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. We are expecting an audience of approximately 100 undergraduate, graduate students and faculty from the English Department of School of Foreign Languages and of course this lecture information will be spread throughout the whole university and audience may come from various schools and departments.

We will provide transport between Peking University and Central University of Nationalities. Please let us know if you will require any audio-visual equipment or additional technological support.

Please feel free to ask me if there is anything unclear to you. I look forward to meeting you at CUN.

Nothing unclear about that!

Other upcoming destinations?

(1) Shanghai Jiao Tong University. On October 23-24, I will be presenting a paper at a conference in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Reform and Opening here in China. (Look it up...) My paper topic? Regulatory review in the United States. The connection? It's a government reform that has happened in the past 30 years. Got it?

(2) Tongji University. As soon as I am done at Shanghai Jiao Tong, I move over to another leading school in China's biggest city. On October 27, I get to deliver a lecture on the presidential election. Hopefully, not much will have changed since the speech I gave twelve days earlier!

(3) In late November, it's off to Wuhan, an inland city located on the Yangtze River. Still talking about the presidential election. But since the election is over by now, I need to come up with some new material. Cabinet selection...stuff like that. And the big temptation? Fly into Chongqing and take a boat down the river to Wuhan, past the Three Gorges. Oh, and past that big dam that was recently built...

(4) In December, it's time to fly south, to sub-tropical Guangzhou. No idea yet about the topic, but hey, there's plenty of work to do between now and then.

And I haven't yet mentioned the paper I was supposed to circulate to a group of international researchers on October 1. When that deadline passed, I had written the introduction...

~Steve

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Well, it looks like the idea of cruising the Yangtze River on the way to Wuhan is out the window...in a good way. Southwest University, which is located in Chongqing, has invited me to come on out, so we'll probably do that next March. The kids will be out of school, so we can fly into Chongqing, stay for a few days, and then, when my lectures are done, we can jump on a boat down through the gorges and dam. That should be a real highlight!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home