Saturday, September 06, 2008

Midnight Mosquito Mayhem

Every morning for almost a week, Z and I were waking up with a whole new set of bites on our arms, legs, hands, feet, and faces. We would itch like crazy, but none of us were really worried because we aren't in malaria country. Finally, one night I woke up around midnight. I had my window open because when I went to bed, there was a very nice breeze. When I woke up, it was completely still and very hot. I realized that I already had several new and very itchy bug bites. Half asleep, I laid back down again, hoping to catch some more z's.

After about five minutes, I started to hear buzzing in my ears, and I began feeling bugs landing on my skin. Forty minutes of swatting later, and I decided it was ridiculous for me to continue all night like this. Into Mommy and Daddy's room for a better night's sleep on the couch. Or so I thought until I realized Z was already laying on the couch, completely asleep. Option C: Wake Mommy up. This is always one of my last options when I can't handle situations on my own. Mommy groggily jumps up and asks what's wrong. After a brief explanation, Mommy hobbles into my room where we can turn the lights on. A quick glance at the wall above my bed reveals three or four big brown mosquitoes that were either landed on the wall or buzzing about.

Without hardly a glance, Mommy had the can of Raid (not the can that was left in the apartment when we moved in!) and was spraying the room at the slightest sign of movement. We aren't usually bug killers in our household, but when I have five or six bug bites on my face, Mommy shows no mercy. (Delirious and tired as we were, Mommy and I decided to have cookies to add to the midnight mosquito mayhem.) When all the bugs were twitching on the ground, we finally went to bed. (The time...1:30am.)

Bug busting aside, Mommy and I found out early the next morning that Z was having a mosquito problem in his room, so he decided to sleep on the couch for the rest of the night. After that night, however, I don't think we will have any more mosquito fun.

~Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home