Friday, September 05, 2008

I Know You're Wondering About the Laundry

We're living large. Well, sort of. You see, our original washing machine (I think it was constructed during the Qing dynasty) broke. (No tears, I assure you.) So the landlady had a new one ordered and delivered in two days. While it is not of the style we're all used to in the States, it gets the clothes nice and clean and I don't have to worry about "someone else's underwear."

Drying is a different story. We're still getting used to the fact that most Chinese families do not own a dryer. Include us in that statistic. So it's back to pioneer days for the Ballas.

We have a nice routine in place...we hear the washer stop and it's time for all of us to "spring into action." We have a pole on the breezy balcony and plenty of hangers. We also have a cool tool for hanging the hangers on the pole. Z likes to do this. He says he is "manning the omelet station." While this situation is not really an issue for us right now, we're of course very curious how this will work in the winter. We'll have to get back to you on that one...

~Desi

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hello Balla Family,

I'm still in London. I started a PhD program last fall. I'll be staying another 2 years or so.

I too recently moved into an apartment that doesn't have a dryer! Unfortunately, the Brits don't like to see wan guo qi (1000 nation's flags or everyone's clothes and underwear) hanging out of windows. I want this omelet thing that you guys have...

-Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home