Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Don't Have a Driver's License, Though

One of the major hassles both pre- and post-departure has been accumulating the various identifications and permissions needed to live and work here in China. Renewing passports. Getting the right kind of visas. Securing ID cards allowing entry to Peking University. Going for the infamous health examinations. All of this is culminating this week, when we supposedly get to go to the Public Security Bureau to pick up our residency and work permits.

In the meantime, though, I have reached an apparently important milestone. I have become a foreign expert. Out of the blue one day, Xiusha handed me a passport-looking book with the words "Foreign Expert Certificate." Here's what it says inside...

This certificate is valid in the People's Republic of China. The bearer of the Certificate is a foreign expert confirmed by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of the People's Republic of China or the administration departments of foreign experts affairs of provincial people's governments. The bearer is entitled to conveniences and treatments for foreign experts provided by the government of the People's Republic of China.

Conveniences and!



Post a Comment

<< Home