Monday, August 25, 2008

上海博物馆 (Shanghai Bowuguan)

The Shanghai Museum came advertised to us as "the one museum in China you absolutely have to visit." After spending a chunk of a day checking out the exhibits, I can say that it was definitely worth the trip. Beautiful dynastic furniture, colorful minority clothing, and other highlights of Chinese history and culture from neolithic to present.

Deep down, though, I can't shake the feeling that the museum ranks fairly far down the list of collections I have ever visited. Maybe it is a problem of expectations that are too high, but my recurring thought is, "this is the best China has to offer?"

The counterpoint to this depressing feeling comes in the realization that this entire country is a museum. All of those bell and drum towers. The Great Wall. All of those temples and gardens. The terra cotta warriors. Now, these are museums I really can't wait to visit...

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home