Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Might Just Stay Here...Forever (Or Maybe Not)

The Chinese believe that the higher up you go, the closer to paradise you get. On the 18th floor of the Portman Ritz-Carlton, I felt pretty close.

Normally, I'm good-to-go with Motel 6. Fairly priced and convenient, I don't mind them...especially when traveling cross-country. Now, though, I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to stay at a Ritz-Carlton at some point in their lives. (Preferably on someone else's dime...)

Fluffy beds, beautiful decor, and fastidious attention to detail make this place a must-stay. We enjoyed all the amenities, including bath and bathing products, fresh fruit, and an indoor-outdoor pool (joined by an underwater tunnel and open until 11!). A smiling, courteous staff was always ready to take care of us. I liked that very much!

Yet while I enjoyed this brief peek into a different world, something that quickly entered my mind was the cost of all of this. There is certainly a price that is paid for this type of accommodation. As I looked around the place, I saw primarily business people and the occasional mom and kids scenario...hinting that dad must be engaged in meetings, business dinners, etc. In the end, I decided that while the Ritz-Carlton was a treat beyond compare, I'll stick to Motel 6 if I can keep my family all joined at the hip.

~Desi

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Maryann said...

Hi Desi,

Its Dawn's friend Maryann - I am enjoying your adventure.. I must have missed the Olympic pictures? how was it?

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Hi Maryann!
Glad you can join us! If you click on the August 2008 archive (on the right on the front page) you can read about our Olympic "misadventures." We are going to try to get tix to the Paralympic Games which begin soon. I would love to go inside the Water Cube to catch some swimming events. In any case, the venues look really cool. The atmosphere has been really great!
Desi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home