Monday, August 18, 2008

Before Ikea

We just got back from an Ikea run, stocking up on basic household items. Pillows and sheets were high on the list, as we have been laying our heads on rolled up sweatshirts and sleeping on whatever materials we could find. Towels were also big; no more air drying after showers!

With the apartment beginning to take shape (and beginning is the word to emphasize), here are some photos of what things looked like when we first moved in. We'll post some "after-Ikea" pictures when things are better organized.

Bonus points for the first person who can guess what the device in the upper right-hand corner of the middle picture does.

~Steve

7 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Macefamily said...

Hi looks like a water heater. Glad to see you guys are getting around well. Donn

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Good job Donna (and Grampy, who replied privately)! We have to turn the lever in the shower, which ignites the pilot light in the kitchen, which in turn heats the water for the shower. So no adjusting the temperature while cleaning off!

Steve

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Shows you how little Desi and I know! Seems like there are plenty of people for whom this question was a no-brainer. Our education continues...

Steve

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

OK, I had no clue! Thought maybe your new crib came with a built in shake machine!

I know Desi is an Ikea-a-holic so she must have gone crazy in there! I'm surprised they have that store there. I'm sure your new home will be looking spruced up and comfy in no time.

OK, walking around air drying was way TMI, LOL!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

The Ikea here looks just like the ones back home--a big box located on the side of a major highway. But here it is considered a posh store that only "you qian ren" (people with money) shop at. Our cab driver said "mei qu guo" (he's never been there).

Speaking of Ikea, Julie's mattress is supposed to be delivered today. I say "supposed" to because I _think_ that's what the delivery guy told me on the phone. And then there is the question of whether I gave him our address in Chinese correctly...

Steve

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger joeleisen said...

instant hot water heater . . . but I see the whole clan beat me to it! love the blog posts & keep them up.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger MaMa said...

I have been following your blog and decided to raed the older posts - I am glad to see your indor plumbing - Desi I would have thought Hutong living would have sounded better? (lol)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home