Here's the set list for last night's Springsteen concert in Charlottesville (shh...don't tell all of those Wahoos that there were four Dukies standing on their basketball court...). Well, this was the planned set list. The actual set list reveals the kind of crazy Boss night it was, as there were a number of additions, deletions, and substitutions. Here's what was played:
The Promised Land
Adam Raised a Cain
Prove It All Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Meeting Across the River
Born to Run
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
With so much in flux, the entire concert had a seat-of-the-pants feel to it. The epitome of this was when Bruce audibled No Surrender. You could see him running around the stage, telling the E Streeters about the change in plans. It took them a while to get it all straight, with Bruce joking to the crowd, "We're getting there!" Those are the fun Springsteen moments, when even the well-oiled E Street machine hangs on for dear life.
The heart of the show, for me, was guitars, guitars, guitars. Miami Steve really let it rip during Gypsy Biker, and Nils went even further with his extended lead during Prove It All Night (maybe the best solo I've ever seen...). And, for his part, Bruce played plenty of guitar against his microphone stand, during songs like Adam Raised a Cain.
What this boils down to, as I see it, is that Bruce and the band are genetically incapable of putting on a bad show. Sure, the set lists may vary from night to night, from tour to tour. And there are other variables as well--the crowd, where you are sitting/standing, the acoustics. But through all of this, the performances just can't be beat. July 27, Giants Stadium, here we come...
Thursday, May 01, 2008
Steve, Desi, Julie, and Z share their adventures and mind sets from Washington, DC to Beijing and wherever else the journey together leads.
- The Least Intuitive Store EverThis morning, I had ...
- Darwin Says..."Organisms compete for limited natur...
- "We Hope This Didn't Ruin Your Day." Well, it didn...
- "Peace Be With You"One thought and prayer that I o...
- Papal Pet PeeveSomething that has bothered me for ...
- The Pope and His PeopleThe other morning, 42,000 C...
- Papal MassOn Thursday, we skipped school and went ...
- Wow That's my overall reaction to attending the Pa...
- Singing for the PopeAs the Papal Mass approaches, ...
- Learning About ChinaI walked away from National Ge...