Thursday, April 24, 2008

Papal Pet Peeve

Something that has bothered me for as long as I can remember is when people leave Mass early--right after Holy Communion--to "beat the crowd" out of the parking lot. To me, that's like leaving your host's home without thanking him for the meal. Since we usually sit at the front of the church these days, it's been a while since I've had to watch and wince.

Until yesterday, that is...

As you might imagine, distributing the Eucharist to over 40,000 people is quite an undertaking. The way it was carried out at the Papal Mass, though, was flawless. Priests and Deacons had designated areas and, at the appropriate time, everyone in the stands filed in an orderly fashion to receive. As for me, I headed up the steps to a large area where several clergymen were stationed.

Then I saw it. People dashing out of the stadium after receiving. I couldn't believe my eyes. This was the Papal Mass...a Mass that over 500,000 people worldwide requested tickets for and probably would have paid top dollar to get.

Leaving the Papal Mass right after Communion? You've got to be kidding me.

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home