Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Least Intuitive Store Ever

This morning, I had to make a quick stop at the store, to pick up a box of Claritin and some toilet paper. I walked into the Glenmont CVS, where I've been countless times, and straight away had no idea where to begin. Is the Claritin on the left-hand side or the right-hand side of the curvy walkway that goes through the middle of the store? What about the TP? Which way should I turn?

Now, if this were a grocery store (Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, whatever), I would have had no such orientation problems. You simply walk in the front door, figure out which way, say, the frozen aisles are, and immediately have a map of the entire place in your mind.

But this never happens with CVS, no matter how many times I walk in. I just don't have any intuition whatsoever as to how the place is laid out. To make matters worse, different types of CVSs are organized differently. Some haven't switched to the curvy walkway yet. Some have a fat aisle running vertically down the middle of the store as you walk in, while others have the fat aisle running horizontally across all of the aisles you see. Àiyá!

And I don't think I'm alone in my confusion, either. Some time back, I was wandering aimlessly through a CVS looking for who-knows-what, ranting out loud (hopefully to Desi!), when a woman walking down the aisle I was in started laughing and nodding her head in agreement. At least I'm pretty sure that's what she was doing!

~Steve

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

It was for "bar soap!" I remember it well:)
Desi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home