Monday, March 31, 2008

One For the Aficionados

The new issue of Presidential Studies Quarterly has hit the newsstands, which would not normally be big news for me (don't get me wrong...it's a very nice journal). This time, however, I have a passing interest, as a book review I wrote appears inside its pages. As is often the case when stuff I write finally comes out in print, I have a fairly dim memory of just what it was I said. So, in that vein, I went back and read the review. It starts like this:

The Bureau of Efficiency is, from the vantage point of contemporary public administration, an obscure federal agency that went out of existence three quarters of a century ago. Why, then, is the time right for a fresh look at an organization that developed an efficiency ratings system for civil servants and conducted dozens of studies for Congress and the president during its brief history? (Presidential Studies Quarterly, Volume 39 [March 2008], p. 190)

If this reads to you like the opening of a thriller that you just won't be able to put down, then by all means go check out the full review. For everyone else (uh...all of you), you really don't know what you're missing...government bureaucracy is scintillating stuff!

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home