Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Solo Venture Part One: Tasty Pasties (Actually, Pasty rhymes with Nasty!!!)

Since Steve just had to go to those meetings, I decided to head back to the room after an English Breakfast of eggs, baked beans, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and sausage for a bit of a snooze. When I woke up 2 hours later (I guess I hadn't "absorbed" the jet lag yet) I headed to the bus stop. While I had some idea about where I wanted to go, the streets are not well-marked and some of the bus stops are unclear so after almost making one bloke miss his stop, a young woman offered assistance. "Where would you like to go?" she asked. I told her "Kirkgate Market" and she suggested that I get off at the next stop. After walking around a bit I decided I needed a bite to eat. I wanted some traditional English fare so I stopped at a small shop called the "West Cornwall Pasty Co."

What’s a pasty? I had no idea but they looked harmless enough. I chose cheese and mushroom (as opposed to a few with ingredients unrecognizable to a newbie like me…"swede?"…"balti?" In any case, it was delicious and since there were tables outside, I was able to sit and people-watch for a bit. That and a Coke, 3 pounds-sixty (or around 8 US bucks).

Now, off to Kirkgate...

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home