Monday, December 24, 2007

Our Lady of Good Counsel

Ever since I have ever thought about high schools, I have always thought I would just go to St. John's College High School. Turns out, there are a lot of other options besides SJC. I began getting postcards in the mail from all the local schools. We decided that we would check out the different high schools. The first open house we went to was Georgetown Visitation, which still remains my favorite of all the schools. I love it so much because of the element of leadership that is encouraged and because of the beautiful campus. The second school we looked at was Holy Child. It too was beautiful, but it is a little bit out of the way from the house. Since that first weekend of open houses, we have been visiting as many as we can.

Many of the schools in our area are single-sex schools. Included in these schools are Visitation and Holy Cross, my two favorite schools right now. But recently there was an open house for Good Counsel, a co-ed school. The only other co-ed school we had visited was St. John's, so we decided to check it out. Good Counsel used to be located right near our house but just recently moved out to Olney where they could build a much larger campus. The location of the new GC was a downside to begin with but we decided to check it out anyway.

Good Counsel was a beautiful school with all the latest technology. It was a little bit bigger than the rest of the schools. I really like the fact that they have an IB program but the only problem for me was that they put a huge emphasis on sports. The fact that they switch the school day around for the sports players and have the biggest physical therapy room I have ever seen was a bit of a hit. I thought, though, that as long as I am in the IB program, I could be fine at GC. I am glad that we checked out Good Counsel because it definitely knocked St. John's out of third place in my mind.

~Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home