Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Wonderful Sound of Silence

Looking for a condition you never want to get? While there are many, many ailments that I know about and don’t ever want to have, a few weeks ago I encountered a new one that I had never even “heard” of and now I never want to literally HEAR IT again. This condition, called Tinnitus or “ringing in the ears” is one that can be brought about by many different internal or external factors, health conditions, or diseases and apparently affects around 36 million people, 7 million of whom are actually debilitated by it.

As for me, I was ready to stick tongs into my ear and pull out whatever was causing it. The worst part about it is that no one else hears it. In my experience it was a high pitched sound (kind of like what you might hear at first when the television comes on) that began in both ears but then shifted to my right ear only. It was incessant and after a day or two, it was all I could focus on. I would wake several times in the night so my sleeping was completely disrupted.

If you know me, I only go to the doctor when I absolutely have to (pregnancy, loss of the sense of taste, severe kidney infections…you get the picture). If I can just deal with an issue, I will. This was bad enough to get me there in short order. My problem? My sinuses! Thank goodness. After a few days of anti-histamines, my troubles are pretty much over. I do get a high-pitched “hymn” once in a while but that never-ending tone is gone. Whew! I will NEVER take silence for granted again!!!

I have a whole new group on my prayer list!

~Desi

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

Glad your tinnitus is gone. You must have passed it to me because this ringing is driving me crazy!!!!!!! I guess I'll just have to wait until my sinuses chillax (Chill and Relax).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home