Friday, July 27, 2007

Pretty Pensacola

Pensacola Beach is one of the loveliest beaches I have ever seen. Crystal clear water and the whitest sand "east of New Mexico." While the jellies dish out an awful sting, at least you can see them coming.

Sand creatures have adapted beautifully to the colors of this beach as most are very light and blend in perfectly with their surroundings. My favorite is the elusive, rarely seen ghost crab. I don't really know if that is his name but if it isn't, it should be. This guy lives beneath the sand in a hole whose depth I do not know. In fact, if you didn't catch a surprise glimpse of him during your stay, you probably wouldn't even know he exists at all. And the holes you would attribute to someone's missing beach umbrella. The only reason I saw him is because of Steve...he caught sight of him and then I couldn't take my eyes off him.

The lesson? If you're patient and observant, there's much more at the beach than meets the eye...although some creatures I'm not so sure I want to see (insert Jaws theme music here!)

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home