Saturday, July 14, 2007

Mission: Mooney

The third of the beautiful waterfalls takes a bit more effort to reach. It is three miles away from the village on a dirt trail to get to the top of the falls. You can see the beauty from this point but to experience them the way we like to (in other words to swim in their pools) is a bit more of an extreme undertaking.

You see, to touch the blue-green water of Mooney Falls you need to scale a cliff. A series of rock formations provide natural steps and caves to get you part of the way down but the last 100 feet is a very challenging, very steep vertical rock face. It would be impossible to get down without the series of chains and supports that have been embedded into the cliff.

At the beginning of the day I really thought I'd be viewing Mooney only from above but it is difficult to not get caught up in the excitement of the moment. It was one of those seminal moments for me--I had to overcome fears of heights, fears of my own strength, and a fear of not only being able to get down the falls but also to be able to get back to the rim. There is no other way out...really.

When I reached the bottom I thought I couldn't be happier. I had overcome a lot of internal doubts, but when I reached the rim again (after a few hours of playing in the falls) I knew I had really accomplished something special. I didn't think I could do it but I did it. Who knows what's next now? Actually, I think I'll bask in this afterglow for a long, long time.

~Desi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home