Monday, July 02, 2007

Livin' Large on the Lisa Marie

Since it is illegal to visit Memphis without a token trip to Graceland, today we decided to take in one aspect of Elvis pop culture that we skipped on our last tour--his airplanes. During his glory days, Elvis purchased and refurbished two planes, the Lisa Marie and Hound Dog II in his usual gaudy 70s style--lots of suede, funky colors, and even 24 carat gold seat belt clasps.

While it was interesting to once again participate in the legend of Elvis, I was struck by a comment mentioned in one of the film clips presented during the tour. Apparently, Elvis once realized that Lisa Marie, his daughter, had never seen snow so he fired up the plane engines and had his pilot take him and her to Colorado so she could play in the snow for a few minutes. (Yes, a few minutes.) I guess I was supposed to be impressed by his attention to her "need," but I was actually saddened by the thought that a few minutes in the snow was supposed to replace a more consistent childhood--one filled with attentiveness and attention.

While Elvis' music is certainly worth listening to and worthy of the praise it has received, his lifestyle certainly is not. Sometimes those who seem to have everything have little. Sometimes those who seem to have little have everything.

~Desi

2 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

OK, when you were in Graceland for the tour did the tour guide mention the rip in the pool table? I can still remember that phrase like it was yesterday. When I went there a gazillion years ago we had a very mono-toned tour guide who was not very excited when giving us the tour.

Plus, Graceland was nothing that I had ever imagined, we drove right past it a couple times since it was right along a main highway and if you blinked....you were passed it! I was expecting something much bigger for the King. Yes, the plane was cool though...and so were the other exhibits! Glad you had fun!

I agree with Desi, I think he was a very lonely & unhappy man, but I still love watching his old movies. It's a guilty pleasure, what can I say.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

They don't even give you a tour guide any more. They give you a head set with Priscilla and others giving the tour. "And I thought to myself, 'What will the world do without Elvis Presley?'" No, really, this is what she said.

Yeah, the location is not what we expected. We guess America is just so much wealthier now, because we all probably know people with bigger homes than Graceland.

D&S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home