Monday, June 04, 2007

In God's Country

There's one last (but not least) Montana experience I have to talk about. On Sunday morning, I went down into Big Sky for Mass. As you can see, the surroundings are pretty inspirational, with Lone Mountain framing the Big Sky Chapel.

As for the chapel itself, I was surprised when I walked in and couldn't find any holy water to bless myself with. Then I sat down in a pew and discovered there were no kneelers. With that, I started to wonder whether I was in a Catholic chapel or some other Christian denomination's church.

My question was quickly answered when I read through a sheet of paper that had been placed in one of the pew's cubbies. Turns out the Big Sky Chapel holds four different Christian services at different times during the day on Sunday. I was at the Catholic Mass after all, just in a setting without the usual icons and trappings that go with Catholic churches.

This passage from Proverbs was particularly meaningful to me in such a grand, natural setting:

"When there were no depths I was brought forth,
when there were no fountains or springs of water;
before the mountains were settled into place,
before the hills, I was brought forth."

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home