Sunday, June 24, 2007

I Didn't Drown!

Well, here I am, fresh off finishing the Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon. Leading up to the tri, I gave myself four goals to shoot for:

(1) Don't drown! This was not an unreasonable goal, given how poor a swimmer I am. Plus, this was my first open water swim ever, as I didn't practice this at all during my training.

(2) Finish the race! As you can see from the picture, I accomplished this goal as well. My hamstrings are definitely feeling it, but all in all this goal was never in doubt, as I finished pretty strong, not much worse off than some of my tougher training sessions.

(3) Break two hours. I thought, based on my training times, that I ought to be able to finish in under two hours. This goal came into doubt in my mind when we drove the course last night and I saw how hilly it was. But, as I came sprinting down the last straightaway, Z ran next to me and told me that I was going to do it. My time turned out to be 1:49:56. Which means I almost met my last goal, which was...

(4) Break 1:45. This was a best-case scenario goal in my mind, the kind of thing I might be able to do if I really pushed it.

Of course, none of this would have been possible without Desi (my personal photographer!), Julie (who screamed "Go Daddy!" when I was in the transition area between events, and Z (my running partner for the last 100 yards or so).

Thanks guys! Now let's go grab some lunch...

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home