Thursday, May 10, 2007

Irreverent Insights From a Jock

This past weekend, Julie performed in the annual Archdiocesan competition for Catholic elementary school bands. Here are a couple of things that struck me as kind of funny about the whole band competition scene, from the perspective of someone whose competitive life has revolved around sporting events. I'm sure Desi can return the favor after I compete in my triathlon...

What's up with all the bowing? I discovered that band directors really like to bow. Walk out onto stage...bow. Finish first song...bow. Finish second song...bow. Before walking off stage...bow (maybe twice). Yes, that's us, the royal audience. Or are they bowing to the judges? Speaking of judges...

Why does it take so long to tabulate the results? OK...There are two judges. Each band plays two songs. Then there is a break of a few minutes while the chairs are rearranged on stage and the next band gets set up. So can't the judges use this interval to tally up the scores for the band that just finished? I ask this simple question because once the last band finished there was this ridiculously long delay before the scores were finally announced. I mean, how hard can this be? Rate 'em and add 'em up already! Or is all of this milling about and discussion just meant to ratchet up the tension in the room? "Will we get a Superior this year?" And speaking of Superiors...

Are so many bands really superior? The Archdiocese must have a killer music program, because the judges were handing out Superiors, one after the other, like they were going out of style. I sure hope this isn't part of the whole movement to make all of our kids feel special (you know what I'm talking about). Some bands are just better than others...what's wrong with that?

Oh yeah, Julie's band got a Superior rating. In fact, they received the highest score of any band that performed that day. Forget everything I just said...

~Steve

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Congrats Julie! I have to locate, dust off, and refurbish my Alto Sax for Oobie who wants to play it next year instead of the violin. AMEN! I will always be a "band" girl, the orchestra was nice but hard to sit thru, LOL!

BTW, he asked for an electric guitar for his 9th B-Day, sound familiar???

Keep up the good work Julie, glad you love the band so much. I am sure everytime you play a concert, in the audience you will find dear ol Mom with tears in her eyes & tapping her foot!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Steve Balla said...

Thanks Aunt Sharon. I love playing the sax. I have a friend who does orchestra for two hours week,I could never do that! ~Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home