Friday, May 18, 2007

Another Brick in the (Triathlon) Wall

Until the other day, my triathlon workouts consisted solely of single-event activities--a swim day, a bike day, a run day. Within these activities, there has certainly been a lot of variation. For example, I have been periodically doing accelerations of anywhere from 10-30 seconds (spaced a minute and a half apart) during my rides and runs. And I'm to the point where I've swam 500 meters in the pool nonstop. (I know, I know, no big deal...but at least I haven't drowned! That's gotta count for something!)

Then it came time to do my first brick. What's a brick? A brick is a bike ride followed immediately by a run. What I did was ride from campus to home, which takes a little more than an hour, pushing pretty hard the whole way. I then used the front yard as my transition area, aided by my "pit crew" of Desi, Julie, and Z. After some quick hydration, I headed out and ran to the Metro and back.

All in all, I have to say it was pretty ridiculous...like this whole triathlon business! I guess I just must like inflicting pain on myself, because it was both brutal and smile inducing. And, on top of this, I was breaking in new sneakers, so by the time I got home (for the second time) my one sock looked just like Curt Shilling's (look it up...).

~Steve

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

GO STEVE! Gosh I worked up a sweat just reading about it. The only triathlon work out I get involves three activities called: DJ, Oobie and Jemma, LOL! It's also brutal but smile inducing! Wanna trade???

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Scott Hughes said...

I want to start training in bricks more often. It's warm enough now that I can bike again, so I'll probably try to run and bike in bricks.

Did I tell you about my Triathlon Blog yet?

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger The Balla Family said...

I'm with you, Boog! I guess that makes mine a "Biathlon!" LOL
I actually love the biking and I can splash around in the pool like the next guy...but as for a Triathlon, I'll just be the paparazzi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home