Thursday, February 22, 2007

Up for the Beach

This past weekend, we piled into the minivan and headed for Rehoboth Beach, a great little coast town about 2 1/2 hours from DC. The beach in the winter is a peaceful and kinda spooky place--no crowds, some shuttered storefronts, snow mixing with sand. A walk on the beach is particularly novel. The breeze that cools things off in the summer really chills you to the bone this time of year. Our solution? Walk into the wind on the way out...that way the return trip feels downright balmy!

Personally, my other solution is to forget about walking altogether...and run instead! Our first morning there, I went out with Cameron, and it was a tale of two halves. At the start, Cameron was interested in every little thing on the beach. Everything from playing with other dogs to chewing on the shells of dead horseshoe crabs. But by the time we turned around to head back, Cameron had lost interest in all of these distractions and became totally focused on keeping up with me. Let's just say he was one tired golden by the end!

As for Blue, she had no issues with tuckering out. Rather, her problem was figuring out how to run close to me (really close to me) without knocking the both of us over. Here she is, right in front of me...get outta the way, Blue! There she is, directly behind me, banging into my legs, just about taking me down! I figure if I can survive a run with Blue, dealing with a crowd of competitors in a triathlon should be mei wenti.

Now if only the ocean water was warm enough for a practice swim...

~Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home